The most dramatic visible effect on mining in Little Cottonwood Canyon was the removal of all the trees. A fire that started in downtown Alta in 1878 further decimated the tree population. Although mining is generally blamed for the logging of the canyon, the harvest of logs for houses in the Salt Lake Valley began long before silver was discovered. Trees began to grow again in the canyon after the turn of the century, but todays forest is largely the result of the replanting of evergreen seedlings upon the recommendation of Alf Engen and under the direction of the U. S. Forest Service beginning in the 1930s. This is continued by Alta Ski Lifts Company.

The town of Alta huddles beneath the cliffs near Eagle’s Nest. All trees in Little Cottonwood Canyon have been removed at this point.